Had a Fall? Here is What to Do After a Slip and Fall Incident
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere and to anyone, often resulting in injuries that require immediate attention. Knowing the right steps to take if you’ve experienced a slip, trip, or fall incident is important. In this guide, we’ll outline the essential actions to follow immediately after a slip and fall accident to protect your safety and legal rights.
1. Seek Prompt Medical Attention:
Priority #1: Your Health
After a slip and fall accident, your first priority should be your health and well-being. Even if you believe your injuries are minor, seeking medical attention is essential. A doctor’s evaluation ensures your safety and documents any potential injuries, which can be invaluable if you decide to pursue compensation through a legal claim.
2. Report the Accident:
Creating a Paper Trail
Regardless of where the accident occurred, report it to the responsible party, whether it’s a manager, owner, or landlord. Request a detailed written report of the incident and make sure to obtain a copy for your records. Photographs of the accident scene can serve as crucial evidence should you decide to pursue a premises liability lawsuit.
3. Document Everything:
After the accident, gather essential information, including names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of any witnesses present at the scene. Collecting this information promptly can be challenging later on. Witness statements may become valuable in supporting your claim. Additionally, take daily photos of any injuries sustained in the accident to document their progression over time.
4. Decline to Give Statements:
Let an Attorney Handle Communications
In the aftermath of a slip and fall accident, less is often more. Limit your communication with the property owner or manager and avoid posting details about the incident on social media. If an insurance company requests a statement, politely decline until you’ve had a chance to consult with an attorney.
5. Contact an Experienced Attorney:
Expert Legal Guidance
If you decide to pursue legal action, it’s advisable to consult with an experienced attorney specializing in personal injury cases. Slip, trip, or fall cases can be complex, and a reputable law firm will have the resources and expertise needed to help you build a strong case. At Hilliard Law, our experienced attorneys have a proven track record of success and are ready to assist you.
Slip and Falls Statistics:
- Emergency Room Visits: According to the National Floor Safety Institution, over 1 million individuals in the U.S. seek emergency room visits after a slip and fall accident, with approximately two thousand people injured each day.
- Older Adults: Each year, one in every three individuals over the age of 65 experiences a fall in the United States, with half of them being repeat fallers. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that 1.8 million people over the age of 65 were treated in the emergency room after a fall.
- Total Cost of Injuries: Falls result in an estimated annual cost of $13-14 million in the United States. In 1995, falls became the leading cause of accidental injury, accounting for 20.8 percent of all emergency room visits. (Motor vehicle accidents accounted for 11.9 percent of ER visits.)
Your actions immediately following a slip and fall accident are pivotal in safeguarding your health and protecting your legal rights. If you or a loved one has been injured in such an incident, don’t hesitate to reach out to Hilliard Law’s dedicated team of attorneys for a free case evaluation. Contact us at 1-800-334-3298 or request a free consultation online.